Peake Family Adventures

Join along and stay connected with us as we explore new cultures and countries around the world!

September 14, 2006

Start fresh with a new school year! Sept. 2006



Welcome back to sunny, hot Kuwait! We have just completed 2 weeks of school and life is starting to get into a rhythm, one that starts too early for my liking, but something I have no say in. I've moved offices so I'm not in the thick of students anymore which gives me more breathing space during the day. We have a new middle school principal and a new systems and programs in place that are designed to support students socially and behaviourally before they get to me. I'm overseeing the new advisory program that we've started which is exciting because it will allow me to support the teachers in helping the students with their day to day social/academic problems. I can have more time to focus on student learning issues and monitoring other programs like peer mentoring and career stuff. I'm really hoping for a different experience this year as the middle school counselor. This year I feel a lot more 'in the know' than I did last year, which is a good thing.
Geoff was fortunate to get moved to high school and is digging into the Grade 10, 11 IB, and 12 english courses. Once again, he's putting together the curriculum for this year. More late nights, too much marking, and brand new material to deliver. So far, he's loving the switch to HS. and counting his blessings he's not dealing with all the complaining from students that goes with MS. territory.
Megin is in grade 9, Brendan in grade 7. The years are moving by quickly. The transition this year into AIS for them has definitely been easier, although I can't pretend that going to school with 95% Arab kids who speak Arabic outside the classroom is easy for them. The experience will leave profound memories for them, I hope positive as they grow up and integrate the best of all worlds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home